If your child is crazy for the character who lives in a pineapple under the sea, throw a SpongeBob SquarePants birthday party! Read on for our ideas on creating a perfect SpongeBob SquarePants birthday party with ideas on decorations, favors, games, invitations and more.
Who is SpongeBob Square Pants?
Deep down in the Pacific Ocean in the subterranean city of Bikini Bottom lives a square yellow sea sponge named SpongeBob Squarepants. SpongeBob lives in a pineapple with his pet snail, Gary, loves his job as a fry cook at the Krusty Krab, and has a knack for getting into all kinds of trouble without really trying. When he's not getting on the nerves of his cranky next door neighbor Squidward, SpongeBob can usually be found smack in the middle of all sorts of strange situations with his best buddy, the simple yet lovable starfish, Patrick, or his thrill-seeking surfer-girl squirrel pal, Sandy Cheeks. In Bikini Bottom, fish walk, blowing bubbles is art, and the tastiest undersea treat is a deep-fried Krabby Patty Burger. Dive in and soak it all up with SpongeBob! (SpongeBob Square Pants TV Promo)
Party Idea Pros has an “old fashion” approach to kids’ parties. We say keep them small, keep them short, and keep them simple. We love hula hoops, beach balls,, crayons, washable markers, glue sticks, and musical instruments. Generally, the number of guest should equal the age of the birthday child, but don’t obsess if you are a few over or under — it is not worth the hurt feelings for an extra child or even two. Never, ever deliver invitations as school, unless every single child is invited!!!!! Skip the jumpies and the pony rides.
What Do I Need For The Party?
For a great kids SpongeBob Square Pants party there are only a few essentials:
- A great invitation — even before the party begins invitations create a sense of anticipation. Think of all the time your own child spends looking at those invitations on your refrigerator.
- Great SpongeBob theme paper goods
- A cluster or two of latex balloons mixed with some fabulous Mylar SpongeBob and/or animal shaped balloons (be especially careful of latex balloons if you have very young children present)
- A fun sea theme centerpiece
- For the food – keep it simple: serve either popcorn shrimp or hot dog octopus and cheesy shells, and fruit cut into sea animal shapes, drink ocean water out of fish straws, and for dessert serve a beautifully decorated SpongeBob birthday cake/ cupcakes and lots and lots of candy fish.
- Four activities: a “doing” activity such as running through a SpongeBob sprinkler, waterslide, bubble machine, Bikini Bottom scavenger hunt or series of SpongeBob outdoor activity games, a craft activity such as SpongeBob and friends mask/costume making followed by a runway show or a sand art project, and a game activity like, “crab walk races or octopus tag, and to end the party, a chance to break the pinata. As the kids get older, the same activities work just make them more complex, and add a competitive/team component.
Amazon makes it extremely easy to create a fabulous SpongeBob Square Pants party with lots of SpongeBob Square Pants Party in a Boxes from which to choose . Truthfully, all the rest of this post is the equivalent of adding lots and lots of whip cream to your ice cream sundae.
Party supply prices vary used to vary depending on which of our favorite party merchants was having the better sale at the time, but they have all gone out of business so now your best bet is to pick and choose from a whole host of merchants on Amazon.
Birthday Party Invitations
Choosing your invitation is the equivalent of the title of a paper … it sets the tone for the entire party, even a casual kids party! We found quite a few SpongeBob theme invitations from which to choose. Here are a few of our favorites …
DIY Party Ideas
- Cut the shape of SpongeBob SquarePants, a starfish or pineapple from card stock paper.
- Cut a yellow sponge in half and glue it on white cardstock. Add googly eyes and draw on a face to create SpongeBob.
- Wash and dry old soda bottles, write your party details on a slip of paper, roll it up, and slide it inside. Make sure the paper is rolled tightly and secured so it will easily slip out of the bottle when your guests receive it. If you don’t want to make your own, purchase one of the invitations in a bottle.
- Wash and dry seashells thoroughly and write your party details on the back of the shells. Send them in heavily padded envelopes, or hand-deliver them to your guests.
SpongeBob SquarePants Party Supplies
Again you can have just about any SpongeBob Squarepants birthday party supplies and paper goods you could possibly desire delivered directly to your door. Alternatively any shade or yellow or blue will work well with a SpongeBob theme party. Mix and match
SpongeBob SquarePants Centerpieces
- Cover the tables with blue tablecloths and decorate them with colored sand, seashells, and a classic fish bowl filled with blue decorative glass gems or teal marble accents, plastic aquarium plants , some SpongeBob Square Pants figurine characters and for that extra special pizazz, add a few live gold fish. Or simply use this classic SpongeBob centerpiece surrounded by yellow & powder blue sixlets candies. Add a few balloons for the festivity factor.
- A third option is to gather all your SpongeBob character plush toys or plush fish toys and simply group them in the center of the table. Again, add balloons, and maybe some confetti and you are set.
SpongeBob SquarePants Birthday Party Balloons
SpongeBob SquarePants Birthday Party Place Card Holders
SpongeBob SquarePants Party Napkin Rings
These stringed shells fit perfectly around standard napkins and add a beach vibe to the table. Once seated the kids can wear them for the duration of the party. (Not appropriate for children under the age of 3).
Although no longer the latest fad, Bandz still make silly little napkin rings and will get your guests giggling & reminiscing about the time when Bandz were all the rage!
SpongeBob SquarePants Party Favors
More SpongeBob Party Favor Ideas
Beach pails make adorable favors by themselves or filled with extra goodies.
SpongeBob SquarePants Party Decorating Ideas
Place a bubble machine in one corner of the room.
* Use cardboard or poster board and Crayola Washable Poster Markers to create underwater “street signs” to other SpongeBob sites, like Sand Mountain, Goo Lagoon, Jellyfish Fields, Kelp Forest and Mermalair or outside, hang a sign saying “Bikini Bottom this way,” with an arrow pointing to the party area.
* Put inflatable palm trees in the backyard. Surround with sand, sand pails, sea shells and otherbeach toys. We particularly love these inflatable palm tree coolers because they serve both as decor and to hold your drinks!
SpongeBob SquarePants Birthday Party Decor
SpongeBob SquarePants Party Food Ideas and Serving Pieces
To keep with the underwater theme, consider serving seafood at your SpongeBob SquarePants party. Here are a few ideas:
Fish sticks | Popcorn shrimp | Krusty Krab Cakes (crab cakes or hamburgers) | Seashell-shaped pasta
* Use cookie cutters to cut fish shapes out of peanut butter sandwiches, cheese slices, and deli meat slices.
* Cut red licorice strings into 2” sections and attach eight sections to a red gumball with a little red frosting. Draw on two eyes with black decorator icing to create octopus treats.
* Make “Sea Water” by coloring pitchers of apple juice with blue food coloring, and serve with fish straws.
* Bake a sheet cake and top with yellow icing. Then pipe on SpongeBob’s features to create a SpongeBob SquarePants cake.
DIY SpongeBob Square Pants Cakes
Candy-coated and spectacular, this SpongeBob SquarePants cake is nothing less than a kid's dream cake. This outstanding confection has M&Ms, Twizzlers, gum drops, and more.
SpongeBob Square Pants Serving Ideas
SpongeBob SquarePants Birthday Party Fun and Entertainment
What is a kid's party without a pinata!
SpongeBob Party Games
Make your SpongeBob SquarePants party a success with Birthday in a Box game and activity ideas below.
SpongeBob Quiz Questions >> Test everyone's knowledge of everything SpongeBob with a fun quiz.
Sponge Painting >> Use sponges and paint to create fun artwork.
Sea Creature Coloring Page >> Hand out a coloring page at your party.
Musical Jellyfish >> Pass around the jellyfish without getting stung to win.
SpongeBob Toys and Games
There is a huge selection of SpongeBob toys and games available. Here is just a small sample of a few of our favorites. For just about anything and everything SpongeBob, check out Amazon's huge SpongeBob collection of products
These darling SpongeBob pajamas are perfect for a sleepover party. The pictures will be priceless.
Another idea: I use to bring all the cousins gifts when we traveled cross country to visit. Seeing all the little ones running around in their matching pajamas was oh so cute.