Your own little princess-in-training will be so excited to celebrate her birthday with a Sofia the First birthday party theme. And from a mom's perspective, we love that this theme reinforces the notion that most important to becoming a princess is having the characteristics of honesty, loyalty, compassion and grace. It is not the title that makes one worthy of the role. Our goal is to make sure your Sofia the First birthday party reflects those ideals, too.
Party Idea Pros has an “old fashion” approach to kids’ parties. We say keep them small, keep them short, and keep them simple. We love hula hoops, beach balls, crayons, washable markers, glue sticks, and musical instruments. Generally, the number of guest should equal the age of the birthday child, but don’t obsess if you are a few over or under — it is not worth the hurt feelings for an extra child or even two. Never, ever deliver invitations at school, unless every single child is invited!!!!! Save money – skip the jumpies and the pony rides.
For a fabulous Sofia the First theme birthday party there are only five essentials
- A great invitation — even before the party begins invitations create a sense of anticipation. Think of all the time your own child spends looking at those invitations on your refrigerator or family bulletin board.
- Fun Sofia The First theme paper goods
- Keep your decor and centerpieces simple. This is a child's party. We promise you the tots really truly do not care if you have spent hours and hours decorating. Use the centerpieces provided in the Sophia the First party kits and printables. You can always make them a little less commercial by adding balloons and some of your own princess accessories. Or purchase a few Sofia the First Dolls, add some balloons, and later gift the dolls to the birthday gal.
- For the food – again, keep it simple and keep it purple. Use a crown shaped cookie cutter to cut cheese and tea style sandwiches. Think blueberry and blackberry yogurt parfaits and smoothies. And for dessert, bake a few dozen princess crown cookies. And of course, serve the classic birthday cake or cupcakes frosted with purple frosting and decorated with Sofia the First cake toppers
- Four activities: 1. a “doing” activity such as a home “treasure hunt” which might involve searching for some of your daughter's favorite characters from the Sofia the First television series. 2. a craft activity such as decorating a tiara. 3. A Sofia the First game activity like, “pin the amulet on Sofia”. Instead of, or in addition to a game activity you might want to let the girls dress up as princesses and participate in a mini fashion show. We love the idea of when the girls reach the end of the runway they share their thoughts on how to make the world a better place. Be sure to capture this on video. We promise you the girls' insights will be the highlight of the party! 4. And to end the party you absolutely must break the Sofia the First pinata. As the kids get older, the same activities work just make them more complex, and add a competitive/team component.
Sofia the First Party Invitations
There are lots of options for party invitations from fill-in-the blanks invites to personalized invitations to DIY printables.
Sofia the First Paper Goods
To be perfectly honest, we are not completely sure where to send you for your Sofia the First party supplies. They are all pretty much the same so it comes down to what buying experience works best for you. We like Birthday in Box because everything is organized simply and efficiently but Amazon carries most of the same supplies as does Shop Disney. And for slightly more personalized or printable supplies, we generally turn to Etsy.
You might also want to check out these darling, albeit more generic, princess party supplies. We only wish they came in shades of purple rather than pink.
Sofia the First Party Decorations
Think Lavendars & Purples!
We always try to find ways to stretch our party budget. Using Sofia the First dolls and/or a dollhouse as centerpieces and then gifting them to your daughter as her birthday present seems to be a great use of limited dollars.
Or if you are going for more princess vibe rather than strictly a Sofia the First look, these Metal Crowns can double as place card holders and party favors! Print the girls' names on purple cardstock.
Sofia the First Food & Drink Ideas
Again – think shades of purple!
We also think these Royal Oreos are not only darling for decorating the table (and yes they do come in purple!), they are quite yummy, too!
Sofia the First Birthday Party Fun & Games
At the risk of repeating ourselves we think it is very important to plan young children's parties to the minute. Although we agree free play is very important, parties are the time for more structured fun. We recommend planning at least four party activities
- A “doing” activity such as a home “treasure hunt” which might involve searching for some of your daughter's favorite characters from the Sofia the First television series.
- A craft activity such as decorating a tiara.
- A Sofia the First game activity like, “pin the amulet on Sofia”. Instead of, or in addition to a game activity you might want to let the girls dress up as princesses and participate in a mini fashion show. We love the idea of when the girls reach the end of the runway they share their thoughts on how to make the world a better place. Be sure to capture this on video. We promise you the girls' insights will be the highlight of the party!
- And to end the party you absolutely must break the Sofia the First pinata. As the kids get older, the same activities work just make them more complex, and add a competitive/team component.
It might also be nice to create a quiet reading corner just in case the girls get tired or someone needs to take a break or would benefit from some quiet, alone time. Or if you find yourself with an epic timing failure, story time is always a great add-on activity option! Again, you can either add the books to your daughter's library or send each girl home with their own Sofia the First book.
And if you are looking for an extra party favor, a royal bookmark will be a treasured momento and encourage reading!
And in our all so humble opinion, all parties should end with a chance to break the piñata!