Action + Relationships = Results
Designate your next teacher institute day, company team building event, or any day, 100/0 Principle Day and then turn it into a month long effort!
Looking for innovative ways to inspire your team without investing in a major team building initiative? Invest limited resources and lots of energy into instituting the 100/0 Principle company wide. Start by implementing a 100/0 Principle Day modeled after Smith College’s Mountain Day where every year, the president chooses a beautiful fall day and announces a holiday day off to re-invigorate the soul by ringing the college bells. Even though you most likely won’t choose to give employees a day off, incorporate the concept of taking authentic responsibility for a relationship into the day’s normal routine. The operative words should be kindness and respect and patience with zero tolerance for anything less. This is a good day to review your company's harassment policies and conduct company-wide harassment training.
The 100/0 Principle Defined
The 100/0 Principle is the formula for developing the effective relationships which are so critical to our success. Want to improve your relationships with your spouse, boss, coworkers or customers? According to Alan Ritter, author of the 100/0 Principle, this is the formula: You take full responsibility for the relationship (the 100) and expect nothing in return (the 0). As you take authentic responsibility for a relationship, the other person does as well. Consequently, the 100/0 Principle quickly transforms to something approaching 100/100. By being persistent in your kindness and respect for another person, you will likely change the dynamic of a relationship. When that occurs, true breakthroughs occur for the individuals involved, their teams, their organizations and their families. Most people just give up too soon. Want to change your life for the better? Remember the 100/0 Principle.
100/0 Principle Day Ideas and Inspiration
- To kick off the day have a copy of The 100/0 Principle sitting wrapped and waiting at each participant's desk. On top of the gift, thread an individually wrapped sunkist fruit gem through the wrapping ribbon with a small thank you tag or label saying “You are a gem! Thanks for all you do!”
- Order custom MY M&M'S in your company colors and customize with key concept words: kindness, respect, and patience. Make them available at your reception desk and throughout the premises for employees and guests to nosh on and reflect upon.
- Random Acts of Kindness
- With Boom Boom! Cards, you perform underground acts of guerilla goodness, post about the experience (pictures and video too!) on the Boom Boom! website, and then pass the card on to someone else. Each card’s unique ID number makes it possible to follow every card that’s played on the website’s map. With Boom Boom! Cards, you never know where your one act of kindness may end up!
All kinds of folks…teachers, friends, families, and companies have discovered it’s a great idea to buy decks of cards, pass them out to a “team” of people and have everyone work to accomplish the deck together.
Boom Boom! totally endorse the idea of using the cards in schools and in companies but for optimum success suggests the cards never be used as required “assignments” for students or employees since they have the greatest impact when the user is genuinely and authentically engaged in the process and is not completing it as a required task.
Random Act of Kindness Cards | Random Acts of Kindness | RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS KITS
- The five-penny challenge
The challenge: Start by putting five pennies on the desk of each employee. Every time an employee practices a random act of kindness ask them to take one of their pennies and deposit it into the company Random Act of Kindness Jar and offer to donate a a set amount of money ( a penny, a dollar, ten dollars, etc) to a designated charity for every Random Act of Kindness practiced by your employees. For example every time an employee practices being compassionate — passing along a compliment, positively reinforcing a colleague who did something right, or simply saying thank you — the employee deposits one penny into the jar. The idea is for the employee to keep score with his or herself as a reminder to contribute to a more compassionate workplace. Consider replenishing the pennies on employees desks quarterly or monthly or even weekly.
- Leave enough money in the vending machine for the next person to get a free treat.
- Leave a cake or other food item in a central area anonymously with a Thank-You note.
- Buy a cup of coffee or snack for someone who's having a long day.
Random Acts of Kindness CELEBRATION DATES 2014
Random Acts of Kindness Week. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . February 10-16th
World Kindness Week . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . … . . November 7-13th
World Kindness Day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . …. . . November 13th
Make every day a 100/0 Principle Day!