As you know, we are always on the look-out for great Halloween games and activities so when we happened upon this Martha Stewart Living version of a classic carnival game we had to share it. Pumpkin Balloon Pop is a true three-fer — a party decoration, a party activity, and a party favor all in one and all for very little effort.
Here's what you need and how Pumpkin Balloon Pop works courtesy of Martha Stewart Living
Tools and Materials
- 4-by-5 1/2-foot piece of foam board
- 2 yards of burlap or other fabric
- Removable hooks (such as Command hooks)
- Thirty-five 12-inch orange balloons
- Bats and Pumpkins Confetti
- Individually Wrapped Candy (ie candy sticks, Tootsie Rolls, Sixlets )
- Balloon Pump (optional – but definitely worth the $5.00)
- Orange Ribbon
- Pushpins (or darts for bigger kids)
How-To Build a Pumpkin Balloon Pop Board
1. Cover foam board use duct tape to tape together smaller boards) with burlap; secure in back with duct tape. Adhere it to wall with hooks.
2. Fill balloons with confetti (using a funnel) and candy. Leave a few treat-free to add to the suspense.
3. Inflate the balloons (a pump makes it faster); tie off with a knot. Attach balloons to board with T pins, in a pumpkin shape.
4. Cut a stem shape (download the template) from green paper, and secure with T pins.
5. Cut ribbon; tie onto pushpin handles to make them easier to hold on to (and find, if dropped).
NOTE: Best for kids 6 and older. Pins make it easier for little kids to pop balloons, but darts will work well for slightly older players.
Looking for something a bit less time consuming? Check out more Halloween Games & Activities.